Wednesday 14 June 2023

More early Macedonians and a tiny little Herakles

After the recent performance of my early Macedonians against the vile western barbarians, I took the notion to have a dig through my bits box to find whatever 10mm Magister Militum Greco-Macedonians I had left unpainted. This post shows the very last bits and pieces I had, now complete and ready for action in games of Fantastic Battlesl'Art de la Guerre or Hail Caesar.  

First up, we have two more companies of unreliable Macedonian hill levy; not great fighters, but they really bulk out the army.

A new company of Cretan archers. These include simple head swaps and shields made out of greenstuff. I attempted wee dolphins on the shields - not overly happy with them, but they are passable.

I painted up a company of Thessalian cavalry but the photo went missing somewhere between the act of taking it and the blog, so I'm afraid this blurry image will have the stand in...

I found a 28mm Herakles in the Etsy store of KitBashBox and the owner there, Dave Perry, was happy to scale him down to 10mm (excellent service and communication I have to say!). So I can now add a tiny Herakles to my Macedonians if I'm playing with mythological elements.

I made an additional commander for the army from a spare Thracian light cavalryman, lopping off the top of his head and sculpting a pushed-back Corinthian helmet.

And here they all are integrated in their drawer. 4x Macedonian companion cavalry, 8x Macedonian levy, 2x peltasts, 2x Cretan archers, 2x Macedonian archers, 1x Macedonian slingers, 3x Thessalian cavalry, 6x hoplites, 2x Illyrian warriors, 1x Herakles, 1x sirens, 1x cyclops, 6x commanders and a camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment