Saturday 22 July 2017

Prehistoric lady hunter

Most of us have an image that comes to mind when we hear the words 'caveman' and 'woman'.

 
Whether it's Raquel Welch, Daryl Hannah, or Camilla Belle, the lady in question is generally... well... pretty easy on the eyes. I'm afraid the first female to join my hunting party is a bit more like Wilma...

Wilma the Spanish Neanderthal, reconstructed by Becky Hale

Despite my other misgivings, it should be clear that I really like the Flytrap Factory 20mm cavemen, and have been using them as the basis of my hunting party. The problem is, Flytrap Factory clearly have very fixed ideas about the role of women as none of their hunters, in 20mm or in the 28mm line, are of the fairer sex. As there are no other ranges that really match the comically caricatured features of the Flytrap cavies, I decided to have a go myself and convert on of the duplicate hunters I was sent.

I started with this hirsute chap, using a small file to remove his beard, moustache and sideburns. I didn't think I would be able to manage rebuilding her nose and brows, so she was going to be stuck with them.

Then I got to  work with the Milliput. This conversion marking only the third tome I have used it. She had her chin rebuilt and pouty lips added. I tried to add some hair in front of her ears to cover up the mess left behind after the filing, some more at the back behind her bun, and rebuilt her left ear. Then, of course, boobies. Due to the overall proportions of the base model, I made them ample, is unsupported, and kept them very much G rated.

The undercoating showed just how rough the file left the face... But, at the end of the day, nothing that thickly applied paint couldn't fix. Below you can see Mrs Cavie next to Bow, my existing conversion of the same base model. I know that she is not the most feminine of miniatures, but I'm kinda proud of how well she turned out. Judge for yourself, but I think that if you didn't know, you wouldn't immediately think that these two were the same figure. No she just needs a name. Leading contenders are Frygg, Girt, Oooh or Shrub. We wont know until she starts to be played. Then the natural name will settle.


3 comments: