Wednesday 27 February 2019

10mm Greco-Macedonian archers and commanders

To finish off my small 10mm Classical Macedonian project I have done up one unit of psiloi archers. Much like the Macedonian slingers, there are no literary references that I can think of which mention Macedonian archers. However, as noted with slingers, there is ample archaeological evidence that they were used extensively by Philip II (at Olynthos for example), and it is clear that Alexander the Great also made use of indigenous archers as well as their more famous Cretan colleagues (for example, Arrian Anabasis 2.9.2, 3.12). As with most of this army, the archers are from Magister Militum.

The army has been built for the forthcoming Osprey game, Men of Bronze. However, in order to field the force - now ten units strong - as a small Hail Caesar army (a mighty 245 points no less!), I needed a couple of commanders. These two are standard Magister Militum figures - spares from my cavalry and hoplite units - with head swaps. They fit the bill well and will do if needed.

When I get a chance I will take photos of the force altogether as I'm rather please with how the have all turned out.

6 comments:

  1. They look great

    https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

    Take care

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, I had never considered using a deep blue colour on Ancients, but it looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen - it probably is quite unlikey as I believe blue was rather expensive. However, I wanted the archers to stand out against the greys and browns used on the slingers. I suppose they might be privately raised by the king, or well paid mercenaries?

      Delete
    2. I’m late to the party but very enthused about your 10mm armies! What have you used for the round bases? Thanks,
      Paul

      Delete
    3. Hi Paul, I think for that army I used UK 1p coins. Cheap but effective. :)

      Delete