Saturday 24 March 2018

El Pollo Diablo!

To finish off my halfling army, I needed* some sort of flying monster. I figured a giant owl or perhaps even a gryphon would be the way to go. I didn't really like much in the way of 10mm monsters I saw, and when I expanded the search to 15mm, I saw the Alternative Armies Cockatrice. Well, what more appropriate monster to support halflings, than a chicken-headed one!?
________
*May not have been an actual need.

Seemingly related to the Greco-Roman basilisk, the English cockatrice was traditionally a two legged serpent with the head of a cockerel which could turn creatures to stone with a single look. Apparently, a cockatrice was born from an egg laid by a rooster, and it's natural enemy was the weasel...

The figure from Alternative Armies comes in three parts (body and two wings). The wings can be positioned an a variety of ways, but I went for the angrey-chicken-running-and-flapping-its-wings look. Although its tail is raised higher, it is 18mm to the eye. It's a marvelous little sculpt and was a lot of fun to paint. 


No comments:

Post a Comment