Sunday 2 February 2020

10mm giant and goblin hero

After some time in the concept stage, the fantasy version of Irregular Wars, (working title: Fantastic Battles) got its first table top test last month. I ran a small goblin army against a smaller, meaner force of evil dwarves. The basic tenants of the game work well - more anon - but getting the nuances right will take a bit more testing. To add a bit of punch to my goblins in future games, I decided to magic-up for reinforcements from my bits box.

My goblins already have a giant lending a helping hand, but why have just one giant when you can have two? Like his compatriot, this giant is actually a prehistoric hunter from Blind Beggar Miniatures to whom I added eyelids, a captive and a horse (lunch and dinner?), and bulked out some of the furs. He'll do nicely as a 10mm giant and greatly assist the wee green chaps on their outings.


In order to make up a new goblin hero (I didn't want to buy a whole pack of  30-odd 10mm goblins for just one figure), I took a knife to a Magister Militum dark elf assassin. The elf lost his legs at the knees and received some splendid curly-toed toes in their place. I then made a little hooked nose and chin to give more character to the face, and added wee pointy ears pointing out of the cloak - just in case there was any doubt about what kind of creature he was. I have to say, I am super pleased with the result!


5 comments:

  1. That's great!
    Please in the new rules add solo rules, it could be very helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No promises Ivan, but that is part of the plan.

      Delete
  2. I'm already excited by the prospect of fantastic battles.
    Will you have provision for Fantastic Battles hosts to fight against those from Irregular wars. I always wanted to know whether Siberia would fall to an Orc or Cossack lord.

    I love your little toadstools among the basing, at first glance I mistook them for groups of d6; chucked away in disgust, after rolling too many ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, although I am afraid the systems will be slightly different.

      It should be very easy to build historical forces from the army building rules in Fantastic Battles.

      Delete
  3. Very nice indeed

    https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

    https://www.10mm-wargaming.co.uk/

    Take care

    Andy

    ReplyDelete