Monday 15 January 2024

Devilry Afoot - witch hunters (3)

My latest monster hunter to be painted up is this lovely 28mm plague doctor 3D sculpted by Crosslances. He will certainly find service as a 'scholar'. In Devilry Afoot, scholars are one of the available archetypes from which to build your characters. Scholars may be drawn from the gentry, or be particularly gifted scions of more common families. Devoting their lives to the pursuit of knowledge in many different sciences, they are often more adept with a scalpel or quill and ink, than with swords or guns.

As the sculpt holds a lantern - a very functional peice of equipment in the darkness of Devilry Afoot, I wanted to try object source lighting (OSL) for the first time. This technique is supposed to represent the light coming from a source on the model itself - in this case the lantern. I'm not entirely happy with the outcome - I suspect I rather over did the OSL, but it certainly makes for an interesting painting approach!

1 comment:

  1. Turned out great - or at least much better than my own swing at the same figure for my own in-progress skirmish project set in the same era. I'm not much of a mini painter and still haven't figured out how to take decent photos of them either! Alas!

    https://www.instagram.com/p/Cyg2W1HR1KX/

    ReplyDelete